Friday, June 17, 2011

Week One

Just wanted to record my first week as a mommy to a little boy. Wow - what a week it has been!

We traveled home from High Point when Hendrik was 1 1/2 days old. The ride was a little hard because I had to sit for 2 hours straight. I was reeling from the whole birthing experience, recalling every little detail and thanking God for his goodness. I love Him so much. He is so faithful to us!

I am also thankful for my mommy. I can't tell you how much I love her. Mom stayed in NC from Wednesday the 8th through Thursday the 16th. She was so great. She made us dinner almost every night, cleaned my house, cuddled my babies, bought a ton of gifts/groceries/plants (to dress up my porch). My mom is wonderful. I don't know what I would have done without her this past week.

Monday was Hendrik's first appointment with Dr. Lonas. He weighed 7lb 2oz (lost 7 ounces since birth). I was pleasantly surprised. Vivienne lost nearly a pound her first three days and I was warned that if she didn't start gaining the following day, I would have to supplement with formula. This time was so different. Less expectation and anxiety, and not as hard to get out the door to the appointment on time. :) Dr. Lonas asked us about circumcision. I was able to ask a lot of questions, but realized this is a lot on my shoulders -- I did not want to make this decision. After a long talk with Johannes and my dad, we decided to go forward with it and scheduled his procedure for Wednesday. Mom and I went to the Blowing Rock outlets after the appointment. I was feeling great! Everyone who saw Hendrik (only 3 days old) couldn't believe we were out and about. Totally wouldn't have happened with a c-section. I didn't leave the house outside of doc appointments for 2 weeks with Vivienne. It's just so different. Don't get me wrong - there is definitely discomfort and some pain, but nothing unbearable. I am finding the more I get out, the better I feel.

Wednesday was C-Day. Dr. Lonas came in the room and asked if I wanted to stay in the procedure room with him. I told him I didn't think I could do it. He told me I could and said, "Come on, it won't be as bad as you think." I kept my head down the entire time and definitely cried at one point. You know, the thing is he didn't even cry when he was numbed and cut. He cried when they strapped him down though. Dr. Lonas was so great - he was talking to me about missions and other subjects to keep me occupied, I believe. When it was over, he came and gave me hug and said it would be okay and that tons of babies have this done. I love Dr. Lonas. I can't tell you how much he helped Vivienne, particularly when she was hospitalized at 2 weeks old, when they thought she had neuroblastoma at 4 months, and throughout her well-checks and all the fun things you deal with when you have a toddler (ear infections, diaper rash/yeast infections, colds, etc). He is a great doctor and I highly recommend him to everyone in this area. Plus, he is a Christian and there is no doubt about it. He is very open about his faith and he has prayed with us several times. We love him.

It has been hard in our house since his procedure Wednesday. It kills me everytime I change him and he screams and screams. I honestly don't think it's his "area" as much as he hates having his diaper off. He screams before I even clean his incision place. But it still kills mommy. :(

Also, I have developed mastitis over the past day. I've been running a fever from 100-102 and in excruciating pain!! I went to my doctor and they prescribed antibiotics and a pain killer. They told me to check into the hospital if the fever goes over 102, but I don't think it will (at least, I'm taking lots of Tylenol to avoid that!) They said it could be serious if not treated.

A plus about breastfeeding? I've lost 20 pounds since I checked into the hospital a week ago! I know most is the immediate effect of having a baby, but I also haven't had much of an appetite and feeding, feeding, feeding... I know I'm burning a ton of calories. I'm hoping to lose the last 10 pounds minimum before going to the beach with mom sometime in July! My biggest hope is to lose 20 more and get to my lowest weight when Vivienne was 7 months old. I felt so great then!

We did get some pretty amazing news today. Johannes interviewed for a job and by the end of the day, they called him with an offer. I have been praying about this for a year! Not this particular job, but something more in line with what he wants to do as a career. He isn't there yet, but this is a HUGE stepping stone. It will also be a better pay grade which puts me one step closer to the dream of staying home one day. I don't think it's happening anytime soon (not in the next few years), but we can work our way there. If God wills it, we will maybe have more children and the opportunity for me to be home for the first few years. There are so many what ifs that it's hard to say. It's hard to think about going back to work in September. I'm loving being home and taking care of things in my home. I hope God allows that one day, if just for a few years.

So outside of baby Hendrik's boo-boo and my painful breast, things are going great. Hendrik is definitely a mama's boy. I love him so much, but equal to my baby Vivienne. Tonight we had a moment. I was holding Hendrik on my chest and Vivienne climbed up on my lap and laid her head on the other side of my chest and hugged me tight, and said, "Mommy, mommy. Love you." I held them both and said "I love my only special little girl, and our only special baby boy." What a perfect moment.

Make sure to tune in to TLC on Sunday night for the Duggars first grandson's birth! Anna Duggar delivered both her babies at home / no drugs. I can't wait to watch it. I told Cortney, my doula, that I would totally consider it for the next baby (which is not happening for awhile, FYI). The awesome thing is that Cortney will be a certified midwife in August. She would be so perfect to have for a homebirth. She birthed 4 out of her 5 at home as well. Anyways, make sure and watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment