Saturday, April 23, 2011

Your Physician and Advocate

I have a doctor's appointment scheduled with Dr. Dorn on Monday, and meeting the doula immediately afterwards. It's going to be a big day. We will know on Monday if he officially accepts me as a VBAC patient.

I don't feel as nervous about the consult as I do about meeting with the doula. I just found out that the hospital where Dr. Dorn delivers has banned all non-DONA certified doulas from assisting with labor and delivery just last month.

DONA - Doulas of North America

This particular doula that I'm talking to has so many great qualities. She has had 4 VBACs herself, two of those were homebirths. She has assisted over 200 deliveries. She is a member of the Christian Doula Association. I feel very comfortable talking candidly with her even over the phone. She has invited me to meet her in her own home, which was a comfort to me as well. She said one of the reasons she chose not to be DONA certified is because she could not agree to the required scope of practice, which includes stipulations like not recommending herbal teas and etc., and not being able to go against a doctors opinion. So I asked a very important question - will they kick her out of the labor room, even if she was a "friend" rather than doula? She didn't think so, but couldn't guarantee it. We are going to discuss this in great detail when we meet. In our few phone calls, she has been a huge encouragement to me and I'm already sold. I hate going back to square one on that.

Something else I had to tell you is that I found out that Dr. Dorn does versions even on VBAC deliveries.

"version" = External Cephalic Version: A procedure used to turn a fetus from a breech position or side-lying (transverse) position into a head-down (vertex) position before labor begins. When successful, version makes it possible for you to try a vaginal birth. Version is done most often before labor begins, generally around 36 to 37 weeks. Version is sometimes used during labor before the amniotic sac has ruptured. This can be a good time to use version, when labor is constantly monitored and a cesarean delivery (C-section) can be done right away if necessary. But the chance to do the version can be lost if labor speeds up or the amniotic sac ruptures.

A scheduled cesarean is used to deliver most breech births if a version doesn't work.1 But trying a version at 36 or more completed weeks of pregnancy may increase your chances of being able to deliver vaginally. (WebMD)

The version "success rate" is anywhere between 58-65%.

Some good news: The baby is now side-to-side, which has strengthened my hopes that things can change at any time in the next 5 weeks, and that some of my breech exercises have worked, i.e., elevating my pelvis up high for 15 minutes when I feel him active and while on an empty stomach. I'm also going to start prenatal swimming excercises with the group at our local hospital. If not just for breech, I will appreciate the weightlessness! We'll see what happens at the end of the day. I'm not totally resigned yet.

So Monday will tell... I will update by Tuesday to give you the 411. I can't believe I'm almost 8 months pregnant.

I hope the above has given some mommies-to-be some ideas on labor preparation. Again - I can't say this enough. It's not always the doctor. Check into hospital policies and procedures where you will deliver. Ask these questions to determine if you need an advocate in L&D:

1.At what point do you recommend that I come to the hospital/birth center?
2.How soon after I come to the hospital will my OB see me?
3.Am I allowed to get out of bed to labor and what are the circumstances in which i won't be allowed?
4.Will I be IV'd, and when?
5.How much time will the health care provider spend with me during labor? (note that nurses can make or break this experience because they spend more time with you than the doc, and one nurse can be completely opposite than another - I had 4 throughout my labor and only one served as a huge support to me)
6.If I write a birth plan, will it be honored?
7.How often are vaginal exams performed during labor? (If you've read your stuff, you'll know that this is very important!)
8.Are showering and bathing allowed during labor?
9.How many people are allowed to be with me during labor and delivery? How many people are allowed to be with me during a cesarean delivery?
10.What is the birth center or hospital's policy regarding other children attending the birth?
11.Are eating and drinking allowed during labor? (Key question!)
12.Is video taping allowed?
13.Can my partner cut the umbilical cord?
14.How long will I be able to stay in the hospital? Can I leave earlier if I want to?
15.How long does the baby need to remain in the hospital after delivery?
16.Will my baby be able to stay in the room with me throughout the stay?

I think the list can go on and on, but these are the key questions you need to ask. If you don't know why I've mentioned some of these, then you need to read about it or ask someone who knows. Please don't go to the hospital unprepared. Questions #3 and 4 changed everything for me and I had no idea it would have been such a big deal.


Happy Easter everyone. He conquered death so that we can have eternal life. I hope you know who your TRUE Advocate and Great Physician is. He is all-powerful and all-knowing. Trust in Him. He will NEVER fail you.

No comments:

Post a Comment