Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Day Full of Surprises

160 bpm, and... BREECH! Not side to side breech. Head up, feet down. We had an ultrasound to see if it was true, and yep.

I knew it.

Sunday night was horrible. I was up all night. The baby was moving and it was hurting. I was having a lot of contractions, but not the painful kind. I would doze off and wake up about 30 minutes later trying to shift sides because I felt something stretching my innards to the max. At 3:30a., I gave up and cleaned until it was time to go to work. Vivienne was up throughout the night as well with nightmares. It was an awful night.

I kept having these weird feelings and started to wonder if the baby had shifted to an entirely different position. I noticed that the movements were very distinct in certain places, and it has stayed there the past two days.

Mom and Dad have been in town and she wanted to go to the appointment with me. I thought, "great". This is my mom, the one who thinks a VBAC is a horrible horrible thing and questions why I am going forward with it. She has been trying to talk me out of it since before I was pregnant.

I decided I was not going to talk about it with Dr. Horton if she walked back to the exam room with me. When the moment came and the nurse asked if she wanted to go back, I thought my heart was going to stop. She said "okay!"

Interestingly...

As soon as Dr. Horton walked in, he said... well, I have some good news. We are going to go ahead and send you out to Winston as the high risk group we work with has moved up their "week" in regards to starting VBAC care. Great! Well, moment of truth... I had a huge smile of course, but my mom just started pounding him with questions. It turned out to be a good thing! Dr. Horton encouraged the VBAC and said he would do it himself if hospital policy allowed. He said the risk for uterine rupture is .7%. The risk for complications in a c-section is much higher. After she drilled him, she just looked at me and said, "Whatever!" Dr. Horton started laughing, but he was so great. What an answer to prayer.

"Dr. Horton. Would you be offended if I am interested in going to a doc in High Point instead of Winston?" He looked at me and smiled and asked why. I asked him if it's true that I probably won't see the same doc twice and probably will be delivered by a resident. He said, you most likely will be delivered by a resident, and yes, you are correct. I'm not sure who you will see and know you won't have much say on it. I told him why I wanted to see Dorn (see previous post). He said, you know what? Schedule a consult and feel him out in person, and if you want to do it, then I think it's a great idea! He encouraged me to schedule the appointment asap - within 2 weeks - as a consult visit, not a prenatal one. If I'm not comfortable with him, he said to call him back and he would schedule the first appt with the docs at Forsythe.

So then the exam. I'm right on target in uterine size and that's when he asked where I was feeling the movement. I told him very specifically and when he found the heartbeat, he said.. hmmm... I think this baby is upside down!

I laughed and said, "Seriously? Seriously???" He said, let's go do an ultrasound just to see. I asked him what it means in regards to the appointment scheduling. He said he can still turn... and he told me about his wife.

At 34 weeks, her baby turned from the breech position. Dr. Horton couldn't drive because he had worked an all-nighter, and they were on the side of the road for 30 minutes because she thought she was in labor.

"Are you serious?"

"Yep. That's what I meant by 'noticeable'."

Well, I'm not as far along as she was, but still. It doesn't feel like there is much room in there for the baby to turn around.

I need you all to pray again! :-) Are you tired of me asking you this??? Haha. I know all things work together for good to those who love God. And I do! And I know He has a great plan for me and this baby.

So the good news if he stays breech... Dr. Horton said I can do a few visits in Winston or High Point and if he stays breech at 36 weeks, I can return to Wilkes for prenatal and delivery. Takes an hour off the drive, right? Scheduled birthday. That's good... I guess. No surprises. All my family can be here. No unprepared overnights for Vivienne. Well, let's look at the good. Gosh, this is hard... but I am going to be at peace with this, as I've said all along.

Surprisingly, I was fine with the news. I know it's not official official, but I was surprised at my reaction. I asked God for peace throughout this journey, right?

Man, God is good.

In the meantime, I am SO excited! I saw my baby boy's face again. I did not have to have the awkward appointment. And now I can go check out Dorn just in case. Things are at least moving forward. Maybe God is preparing me now for what's to come in regards to the baby's positioning. I am thankful. But still prayerful.

Can't wait to tell you all about Dr. Dorn in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment