Friday, April 15, 2011

Lions, Tigers, and Doctors... oh my!

30 weeks. A lot has transpired the past two weeks in regards to preparing for delivery. I wanted to share with all of you, particularly those who are considering or planning on a VBAC… and especially those who live in my area.

Since the pregnancy began, I’ve read two HUGE books, done a ton of research online on natural delivery, explored ICAN’s website, checked out local doulas, and have recorded every Baby Story episode on DVR and found about 4 in regards to VBACs and drug-free labors. Through all of this, I’ve really learned a lot. I’ve been encouraged, and I’ve been educated. I would say that the theme of every successful delivery is relaxation and patience. Knowing how it went with Vivienne, that’s almost impossible to imagine, but something you can train and prepare yourself for when the time comes.

I have had some amazing conversations this week and I mainly wanted to update you on where I stand.

My first call was to a doula I found online. Her name is Cortney. She has had 4 successful VBACs herself, and specializes in assisting VBAC mothers. I told her my story and my desires and she told me her story is similar… but almost all are. She was encouraging and positive and said she was planning to send me a packet in the mail. Problem #1 – Cost. For two prenatal home visits, her assistance through my entire labor, delivery, and hospital stay, and a follow-up visit, we are talking $550. In the scheme of things, it’s not a lot of money. Break it down to hourly pay, distance traveled, and being my advocate… it doesn’t seem a lot. But it is. I am going forward with it if I’m transferred to the high risk group in Winston.

When I began to realize that I really need to get a plan in place in regards to labor assistance and situational matters, Dr. Henry Dorn kept coming to my mind.

Several months ago while exploring the web, I found a lone soldier… a true advocate of a mom’s right to deliver her baby. Dr. Henry Dorn. He is a promoter of “The Unnecessarian” and specializes in VBACs as well. He supports natural labor but also administers drugs if needed. He watches closely for true signs and symptoms of needing a cesarean. He has delivered babies after FOUR c-sections. FOUR. (Ladies, it’s never too late to explore this option!!) I was mostly impressed recently when he posted an article about doctors pushing sections to get home at the “end of workday”. He gets it. He has a team of midwives in his practice as well.

Since my first e-mails and calls to him several months ago, I haven’t been able to shake the idea off my mind. Here are some challenges: 1. Location – he is in High Point… 20 minutes further than Winston. I’m already looking at a 2 hour drive. But for those of us in western North Carolina, this is awesome. It is rare to have a physician like this within driving distance. Ladies, keep him in mind. Check him out. 2. Telling my doctor. My current OB works with a high-risk group where he was going to transfer my care. I want to continue my regular care with my current OB after all is said and done. I really do feel comfortable with him and he is truly supportive. But I don’t want to offend him. The nurse at Dorn’s office suggested that I tell my current OB that I would like to go to High Point instead of Winston – to leave out the reasons behind my desires to change particular doctors. It’s a good idea!

I have checked out this high risk group, and there are several concerning factors. There is no guarantee that I will ever see the same doc. They operate out of the hospital and not an office. There is no personalization of care because they see such a large number of patients. No offense against residents, but I was told by a nurse in the labor department that the group works with a team of residents who assist in labor and delivery. That is scary to me to have all these people in and out. I mean for sure… I would not do this without a doula. There are too many unknowns to let me relax. (Remember my first paragraph?) I can only imagine if I had a long labor again how many doctors AND nurses would be coming in and out.

So that keeps pushing me back to Dr. Dorn. So I decided a few days ago that I was going to call again. For awhile, I thought I was speaking with the receptionist when she interrupted me to tell me that she is the nurse and wanted to hear my whole situation including fears, concerns, etc. So I did. It was a good long conversation. And after hanging up the phone, I was 90% sure I was going to go forward with talking to my current OB about moving my care to Dorn’s office. She put me at ease. She said in their office, they are a team. Dr. Dorn sits down with every patient and LISTENS and advises. She said I need to schedule a consult and bring my hospital notes from last delivery and he could give his recommendation. I have to do this. And plus… if I transfer care there, it’s like having a team of your own personal labor assistants. It wouldn’t be necessary to hire a doula when I already have the support and encouragement from my team.

So Tuesday, I have my 30 week appointment with my current OB. We weren’t supposed to discuss transfer until week 32, but at that visit, I’m scheduled to see the alternate doc in our practice. A lady physician who thinks I’m crazy for wanting a vaginal delivery, which is odd to me. So I haven’t talked with her at all about this throughout the appointments. If I don’t handle this now, then I’ll have to wait another month to talk to my OB and then transfer care at 36 weeks. I just want to move forward.

I want to do THIS!!! I want to relax and wait for the baby to say, “Mom… I’m ready to come out now.” There are millions of women today who do drug-free deliveries, some of those without an option. Don’t tell me I’m not capable. I may change my mind in the middle of it, but I am capable. We are all capable. God designed us to be able to do this. It’s not bad if you have a c-section, and it’s not bad if you decide to go for the drugs. But I’ve had the c-section and I say no thank you to #2 – at least I’m not signing up for it. And as for the drugs… I just don’t want anything to be a factor in leading up to another c-section. I do have to note here that I labored 14-15 hours without drugs and did not progress, even on pitocin. However, with two IVs and not allowed to get out of bed, I can’t help but think that the gravity would have helped some. No drugs = freedom to walk around and something to preoccupy my mind.

So I’ll let you know how the next appointment goes. I’m thankful for the support of my co-workers and some of you reading along. I’ve been given some STRONG opinions on how I’m a horrible person for trying a risky VBAC and that things will go horribly wrong…. Please. Please. Just pray. If the Lord doesn’t want me to try, then I won’t. The best thing you can do instead of telling me how horrible I am is to encourage me through prayer. Please pray that His will is done!

PS - WE HAVE A NAME! And we aren't telling. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment